With the advent of summer, it’s about time for another seasonal risotto recipe. This fresh pairing combines peas with shallots and a variety of herbs in order to develop a smooth purée used for flavouring the Vialone Nano rice; it’s definitely more than just a hint of mint! Garnished with roasted asparagus, mint chiffonade and shaved Parmesan – and, if you’re feeling fancy, a drizzle of truffle oil – this dish will help you and your dinner guests usher in warmer weather – roll on English summer!
Pea and Mint Risotto with Roasted Asparagus
240 g risotto
3 echalion shallots, roughly chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed with the heel of your knife
300 g frozen peas
12 asparagus stems
A handful ea. of fresh mint and parsley, plus more mint chiffonade for garnish
Salt and Pepper
- Boil the peas in a pot for approx. 4-5 min until they rise to the top. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped shallots in olive oil with one garlic clove until they become translucent (approx. 2-3 min). Add the chopped herbs and deglaze with white wine.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Add the sautéd shallots, garlic clove and chopped herbs to the cooked peas and purée using a food processor. Pass through a chinois and set aside.
- Season the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and put in a baking dish with a clove of garlic. Bake for 10-15 min or until fork tender.
- Prepare the risotto as usual and add the the pea purée during the last 2/3 of cooking.
- Serve the risotto with 3 asparagus tips, shaved parmesan cheese and mint chiffonade.