This classic bar-food dish gets a sophisticated facelift with the addition of Gorgonzola and caramelized onions. This is one tasty treat that is super easy to make and is fabulous for any occasion: whether it’s pregaming before the football game or drinks and canapés at home, this is one dirty snack that is anything but.
Potato Skins with Gorgonzola and Caramelised Onions
15 new potatoes
1 red onion, very finely sliced
½ cup/ 2 oz Gorgonzola dolce cheese
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley for garnish
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and bake whole for approx. 20 min or until soft at 350 degrees F/ 176 degrees C.
- While the potatoes are baking, caramelise the onions by sautéing them in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When they begin to become translucent, sprinkle some sugar on top and deglaze with water. Adjust the heat so that they don’t burn, but over low heat they should caramelise in about 20 min.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the middle of the potatoes but make sure to leave some around the skin so that it keeps its shape.
- Mash together the potato insides with the gorgonzola cheese and season with salt and pepper. Scoop the potato/cheese mixture back into the potato skins and place the caramelised onions on top.
- Return to the oven and cook until reheated and they begin to crisp up (approx. 10 min). Serve garnished with parsley.