This tart is one of my all-time favorite summer desserts – the fresh strawberries, vanilla pastry cream and lemon crust all work so well together and remind me of lazy Sundays spent at Nona’s house near Rome. Serve this tasty treat with a glass of Prosecco for your summer get-together or backyard bash. A word to the wise: try to save a slice – it’s even more delicious for breakfast!
Crostata di Fragole
Vanilla Pastry Cream
1 lt of strawberries, sliced
100 g very fine sugar
100 ml water
- In a large bowl, mix together the chilled butter into the flour with your hands, working quickly. Add the egg, egg yolk, sugar lemon zest, baking powder and salt and gather together. Quickly knead the dough into a ball, flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Let chill in the fridge for at least 45 min.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F and begin the pastry cream.
- While the pastry cream is chilling, roll out the dough on a floured surface to ½ inch thickness and transfer to a buttered and floured tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim excess dough and prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake blind by covering the tart with a disc of parchment paper and weighing it down with dried beans – this will prevent it from swelling in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 min until golden brown. Let chill on a wire rack.
- Fill the cooled pastry shell with the cream and decorate the top with the sliced strawberries.
- Make a simple syrup for the topping by dissolving the sugar into the water with the lemon zest over medium heat. Once you have a thick syrup, remove from the heat and remove the lemon zest. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the syrup over the strawberries to create a glossy look.
- Cover and refrigerate the tart for 30 min- 1 hr before serving.