A lot of people have asked how I lost weight for my wedding last June (honestly, mostly stress), but, when I do feel the need to shed a few pounds and reboot my healthy diet – especially after all that delicious (and fattening) holiday eating – I turn to this combination of so-called ‘superfoods’: broccoli, kale, quinoa, sunflower seeds and peas, to give me the nutritious energy I need to keep going. I’m not going to lie, it’s certainly not the most exciting or delicious dish I’ve ever created (although, the addition of red pepper chilli flakes helps some) – and, I feel super weird about using quinoa and kale in a dish like some kind of granola yuppy-type trolling Whole Foods with a canvas tote giving judgemental side-eye (or worse yet, some GOOP loving Gwynnie wannabe) – but, sometimes needs must. I’m all about a healthy diet that includes flavourful dishes, moderation and NEVER depriving yourself (life is too short and there are too many delicious eats to be had), therefore, I don’t advocate for the fad diets that are currently making the rounds; instead, I think it’s better to teach your body how to enjoy healthful foods. So, what better way to start than by eating this ‘superfoods’ salad for lunch with a bit of goat cheese or grilled chicken for that extra bit of protein, or, by serving it for dinner under a piece of pan-seared salmon (yup, another ‘superfood’).
I tend to make the whole recipe and have it for lunch everyday for a week. It’s a great way to kick-start into a more balanced (and tasty) diet while flooding your nutrient deficient body with the fibre, lean proteins and vitamins it needs. Added bonus: broccoli is known to have a strong positive impact on the body’s detoxification system – perfect for those who drank a bit too much champagne over the holiday season.
‘Superfoods’ Salad (Serves 10-12)
1 head of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
200 g kale, nibs removed
125 g quinoa
75 g sunflower seeds
125 g peas
6 tbl chives, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed w/heel of knife
red pepper chilli flakes (optional)
salt and pepper
- Wash and dry both the kale and the broccoli.
- Saute the kale in olive oil with the crushed garlic clove in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with white wine or water (kale should take 1-2 min to cook). Set kale aside in large bowl, leaving the garlic clove in the saute pan.
- Drizzle a bit more olive oil into the pan and saute the broccoli, seasoning with salt and pepper (add in the red pepper chilli flakes if desired for a bit more flavour and bite). Deglaze with white wine or water, cover and cook until fork tender. Remove from heat. When cooled, remove garlic clove and add the broccoli to the large bowl with the kale.
- Cook the quinoa in salted simmering water for 15-18 min. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- Boil the peas for 4-5 min until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- When the peas and quinoa have sufficiently cooled, add them to the large bowl with the kale and broccoli. Add in the chopped chives and sunflower seeds. Adjust the seasonings if necessary and mix altogether. Serve on its own or with a lean protein such as grilled chicken or salmon.