This seafood classic combines the famous Maryland style crab cake with a Louisiana flavoured sauce. Known primarily from the Chesapeake Bay area, crab cakes are typically made with the indigenous blue crab meat and are the national food item of the Preakness Stakes horse race. Originally a French sauce used to accompany meats, this punchy remoulade is refashioned in the Louisiana Creole style – and, instead of served with shrimp, crab cakes are on the menu. I’ve paired mine with a micro rocket salad and sliced avocado, but even if you go ala carte, don’t forget a glass (or two) of crisp Sauvignon Blanc: the fruity acidity will balance out all that spice.
Crab Cakes with Remoulade (Makes 8 smallish crab cakes)
½ lb/ 250 g blue or Dungeness crabmeat
½ cup/ 125 g mayonnaise
3 tbl finely chopped spring onions
1 large egg yolk
1 tbl fresh lemon juice
2 tsp ea. finely chopped dill, tarragon and cilantro
½ tbl Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp ea. paprika and cayenne pepper
dash of red pepper flakes (some like ‘em hot)
½ cup/ 25 g breadcrumbs, divided into two
olive oil and butter
¾ cup/ 188 g mayonnaise
2 tbl mustard
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 tsp Cajun or creole seasoning
1 tsp prepared horseradish
½ tsp pickle juice (or lemon juice)
½ tsp Tabasco sauce
1 garlic clove, made into a paste with salt
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, scallions, dill, tarragon, cilantro, mustard, lemon zest, paprika, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix in the crabmeat and ¼ cup of breadcrumbs (I like mine more crabby and less carby, so I use even less!). Mix together, adjust seasonings and let stand for 10 min.
- Pour out the remaining breadcrumbs on a baking dish. Make your crab cakes using the palms of your hands and roll around in the breadcrumbs. Place on a waxed paper lined baking dish, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remoulade sauce: mix together all the ingredients in a medium bowl and adjust seasonings. Keep refrigerated.
- Melt together a tsp of butter and a few drizzles of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the crab cakes for a few minutes on each side until golden brown (abt. 5 min)
- Serve on a plate with some rocket, a few slices of avocado and the remoulade sauce.